4.07.2012

Day 13: Ask for Help

31 Days of Adventure Day 13
Ask for Help

"Sometimes it can seem like we're alone in the world. And that we need (or it's easier) to do everything ourselves. We're here to challenge that assumption with today's adventure: Ask for help. It can be hard to ask others for help. (It's usually much easier to offer to help others.) What do you need help with today?" - daily email prompt

Holy cats is it hard for me to ask for help! Next to riding the bus on Day 3 this adventure got my heart beating the fastest of any to date. 

At 7:45am, I started sending out texts & emails for someone to come over & help me paint our kitchen. I wanted to get at least a coat on all the walls before Jarrod got home from a day in Northern Illinois for work. It was going to be a surprise. To date I hadn't picked up a paint brush. And unless I found a willing helper to accomplish yesterday's adventure, I wasn't going to.

You see, Jarrod started painting our kitchen from gross army green to fun yellow at the end of February. You may be wondering why it isn't done. Well, Jarrod is painting our kitchen in the same fashion that we do a lot of other things in life: slowly & methodically. People will ask us how we get so much done. We really don't get a lot done - we get a lot of things going. And then we work on all those projects a little at a time & suddenly POOF! one of them is finished.

At 10:30am, I'd gotten a whole lot of "sorry I can't help" responses. I needed to pull out the big guns & call someone instead of using passive forms of communication. I called Jill Knutson (yes, THE Jill Knutson from Bike Love) AND SHE SAID YES!

Jill & her daughters came over for a morning & afternoon of painting, playing & lunch. It was fun! And we made some huge progress on the kitchen.

Kitchen in the morning



Cadence, Clara & Jill painting

Cadence & Clara dressed up showing off their chalk drawings.

Dessert. Yum!
I don't have any pictures of the kitchen at the end of the day. We got one coat of edging done on three of the four walls. Jarrod hates doing edging. He was surprised by the painted kitchen & the fact that we had visitors. 

THANK YOU to Jill. We may actually have a yellow kitchen by the time Baby #2 is born!

No comments: